Most people, if they could find the words, would extoll the virtues of the canine kind. After all, there’s a reason that dogs have earned the moniker of “man’s best friend”. They come into our homes and become part of the family. They offer us unconditional love and all they demand in return is the basic necessities of life: food, shelter, and companionship. And they help to keep us healthy. By walking them and playing with them we find a reason to get outdoors and get moving. But they also have the rare ability to make us relax and feel good, improving our mental and spiritual state, as well. In fact, studies have shown that people who own dogs are happier in general. As if you need more reason to head to your local shelter to make an adoption, here are some famous quotes that could help you decide to bring home your own best friend.
1. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” – Josh Billings. When we talk about unconditional love, we often speak about the relationship between parents and children. But like any kind of human love, even this can be flawed. Just look at how many parents and kids end up estranged for one reason or another. It seems that people simply may not be capable of loving anything more than they love themselves. Dogs, on the other hand, still harbor pack instincts. And you, as the alpha and the caretaker, will always receive more consideration than a dog gives itself. Some will even die to protect their owners.
2. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers. Funny enough, Rogers was also quoted as saying that he never met a man he didn’t like. Apparently the actor and cowboy had a soft spot in his heart for everyone. But be that as it may, he expressed a sentiment that many others have voiced, which is to say that in many ways, the company of dogs is comparable to that of people.
3. “If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” – Woodrow Wilson. Often dogs are a better judge of people than people are. So when an otherwise friendly dog refuses to come near you, perhaps it’s because he knows something about you that you don’t necessarily want to admit.
4. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” – Mark Twain. This famous quote has often been used to describe the “underdog”, or a person or group that is facing overwhelming opposition. But just like little dogs that are willing to yap at their larger brethren, a strong will allows the Davids of the world to topple the Golitaths.
5. “Happiness is a warm puppy.” – Charles M. Schultz. If you were to compile the top 100 inspirational quotes (of all time) pertaining to dogs, this one from the creator of a comic strip about a boy and his dog would likely be number one. Just like Charlie Brown had Snoopy, most of us have a loving little furball to greet us when we walk in the door, sleep at the foot of the bed, and make sure we get our daily walk. Is there anything better than a warm puppy to melt even the hardest heart?