What You Will Need:
- Measuring tape
- Table saw
- Circular saw
- 4×8 sheet of ½” plywood siding
- 8’ 2×4 (cut into 2×2)
- 10’ 2×4, for outdoor use
- Hammer and nails
- Metal roofing sheets
- Non-toxic waterproof paint
When you go to the hardware store to purchase the wood needed for this project ask the staff if they can make the following cuts for you. All of the pieces needed can be cut from the single sheet of siding.
You should cut your 10’ 2×4 into these pieces:
- 4: 6” platform legs
- 2: 20-3/4” front and back of platform
- 2: 22-7/8” platform sides
You should cut your 2×2 into (4) 12-1/2” long pieces to use as frame elements
1. First, nail the platform legs inside the edges of the 22-7/8” sides.
2. Assemble the frame by nailing the front, back and side pieces together, noting that the back pieces overlap the sides.
3. Nail both floor panels into place, atop the frame.
4. Nail one piece of frame wood flush along the short edges of each side piece.
5. Attach the additional frame wood to the inside roof line on the front and back panels.
6. Nail the sides into place to align with the platform.
7. Attach the back and front of the doghouse, aligning the sides with the platform.
8. Nail a 22” piece of 2×2 against the top inside edge of the roof sheet, and place into position. Attach it to the front and back of thedoghouse. Nail the remaining roof panel into place.
9. At this point you can install the metal roofing sheets to the top of the house so it stays waterproof.
10. Paint the wood, and be sure to let it dry before introducing your dog to his or her new outside retreat.
This post was written by Erie Construction.