Whether your love of animals is focused on dogs, cats, birds, larger breeds, or all of God’s creatures, you can turn your passion for pets into a paying position without too much trouble. You may think that a lot of schooling is required to achieve this, but in fact, you can cavort with man’s best friend (for money) without so much as a high-school diploma, depending on which avenue of pet care you choose to pursue. Here are a few of the best jobs that you can find on job search websites for animal lovers. There’s bound to be one that’s right up your alley.
1. Veterinarian. This is one job in animal care that does require extensive schooling, but the rewards are well worth the expenditure of time and money. With a degree in veterinary medicine, you can take on one of the most noble pet-care professions, ensuring that the animals you attend to live long, healthy, and happy lives.
2. Animal rescue. Whether you choose to rescue and rehabilitate wild animals for release back into their natural habitat or you prefer to take in abused and neglected pets with the aim of finding them a good home, you are sure to feel equally fulfilled with the outcome of your efforts. After all, it is solely through your exertions that these animals will go on to have long and fulfilling lives.
3. Dog (or cat, or horse) whisperer. Okay, Caesar Milan may have a corner on the TV market for this profession, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use your understanding of animal psychology to help pet owners connect with their animal friends. The major problem for most pet owners is that they don’t understand pecking order. By helping them to become the alpha (and learn the proper techniques for training their particular species of pet), you can ensure a lot of households filled with happy pets and owners.
4. Dog walker. If you not only like animals, but also the great outdoors, you could definitely find worse professions than walking dogs all day long. It may not be the most glamorous job, but it allows you to spend your time with a cadre of cute pooches that would otherwise be trapped inside for hours with nothing but a poopy pad (and no entertainment). Plus, you’re getting paid to exercise and play all day. What could be better than that?
5. Pet sitter. You might be surprised by how much money people are willing to pay you to stay in their home and care for their pets while they’re away. But when you consider how much kennels charge (and the fact that many animals become distressed in a strange environment) you can see why some pet lovers would choose this option. And you have the added bonus of carrying on a fairly open schedule while you pet-sit.
6. Animal masseuse. Most animals love to be touched by their people, but pets plagued by injury, illness, arthritis, or other conditions may need special treatment. As an animal masseuse, you can bring these animals the healing touch they need to feel better and overcome their ailments. Of course, even completely healthy animals appreciate massage, as well.